Fort Wayne, Detroit, Mi.
Located in the city of Detroit, Michigan at the end of Livernois Avenue sits historic Fort Wayne. Fort Wayne was the third military fort built in the state. Construction began on the fort in 1843 and was completed in 1851. The army chose to name its new fort after Revolutionary War hero General “Mad” Anthony Wayne who had won control of Detroit from the British in 1796.
The original star shaped fort was built to house the most up to date canon capable of firing on the Canadian shoreline as well as any ships on the river but due to new relationships with the British and later Canada by the time of the forts completion, Fort Wayne has never seen a shot fired in anger.
The first major use of the fort was as the primary induction center for Michigan troops during the Civil War and continued as an induction center for every U.S. conflict through Viet Nam. Other military uses included Motor Supply Depot where its proximity to the Motor City made Fort Wayne instrumental in acquiring vehicles for the military during World War 1 and World War 2. During WW2 Fort Wayne was also used to house prisoners of war from Italy.
Fort Wayne opened its doors to the homeless during the Great Depression and again in 1967 after the 12 Street Riot, with the last families staying at the fort until 1971.
Beginning in 1948, Fort Wayne was given to the City of Detroit in parcels. Piece by piece, Detroit came to own the entire fort with the exception of nine acres still occupied by the Army Corps of Engineers.
The Tuskegee Airman National Historical Museum is located on Fort Wayne; paying tribute to the brave young men who were determined enough to fight racial prejudice and discrimination and became America’s first black military airmen.
Also located on the property of Fort Wayne is a Native American Burial mound that is over 900 years old. This area is fenced off to the public and the Native American tribes have decided to honor the ones buried here as the ancients and wish that they be left in peace.
July 16, 2011
Conditions: Clear skies
Equipment used: Digital camera's, recorders, Ovilus X, K-2 meters
We went to Fort Wayne began our investigation at 9:40 pm with a walk around the entire fort to get pictures and initial readings while it was still light out. We checked the sally ports, barracks, officers’ row, old hospital site, jail and gun powder magazine as well as the general housing area and some of the administration buildings.
Once we were finished with this we took a brief break in the welcome center while we waited for some of the tourists to leave so that we could go back and investigate with minimal interference. When we left the welcome center, Terri turned off her phone due to the battery being drained. She was carrying a K2 meter with sound. While we were walking through the sally port towards the barracks the K2 meter started to go off. This was in an area with no electricity and Terri had no other electrical equipment that was turned on at the time. The K2 continued to go off sporadically unless Mark would walk up within 2 feet of her. At one point in one of the sally ports at the steps Mark told Terri to be careful and the K2 meter started spiking to red. We were still in an area with no electricity and comments were being made about Terri having an “escort” who was chastising her and telling her to be careful in the area.
At 1:33am we were in the Jail. Everyone was seated but Terri still seemed to have her constant “escort”. We had an Ovilus, recorders and K2 meters on the table with our cameras. Terri got up to take some pictures and the Ovilus said “SIT”.
After leaving the Jail we stopped briefly at a house we had seen activity at before and continued on toward the Indian Burial Mound. At this time, around 1:55am, as we approached the Native American Burial Mound of the Ancients, Terri’s unseen military escort seemed to leave and the K2 meter finally went silent. We paid our respects and took some pictures through the fence then continued on back to the barracks.
Outside the barracks we met up with a group of people from Metro Paranormal Investigations (M.P.I.) and the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition. These are the great people who not only host the tours but are working so hard to keep Historic Fort Wayne alive and trying to restore it with such limited resources. We stayed and talked to them for a bit before heading into the barracks.
We explored different areas of the barracks for a while, with a strong heavy feeling over us that only someone newly recruited into the military would fully understand. At times it made us realize what the term Deafening Silence meant. We took many more photographs, audio recordings, K2 readings and did a few EVP sessions.
When we finished up we thanked our kind hosts one last time, packed up our equipment and left at 3:45am.
This was a whispery voice that occurred during discussion of some
of the investigators-Sounds like "Hear that"
This EVP was recorded in the barricks after a discussion on camera placement.
It sounds like it's saying " It's here"
More EVP's were recorded but need headphones to hear, so we will not post them.
We would like to once again thank Chris, Wayne and the wonderful gang at M.P.I. (Metro Paranormal Investigations) as well as everyone at the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition.